Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions 1.2.14
"we", "us" and "Bumpers" , “Intensives.co.uk” and “Intensive Driving Courses.com” mean Bumpers Driving Schools.
All bookings are accepted on the STRICT understanding that the pupil has read, understood and accepted the terms and conditions outlined below.
By booking a course of driving lessons with Bumpers Driving Schools, you are indicating that you have read and understood the terms and conditions and that you agree to be bound by them.
- ‘you’ means the person taking the course, i.e. the pupil
- ‘we’ ‘us’ means Bumpers Driving School or any brand operated by us as listed above.
- ‘the driving school’ means the driving school or driving instructor providing the course for you
- ‘the instructor’ means a driving instructor acting on his/her own or on behalf of a driving school when providing the course
General Terms & Conditions
- Each course is for the hours booked. The total hours of the course booked includes the time required for taking your practical test. Additional hours can be booked with your instructor at the agreed hourly rate (this can be agreed between you the pupil and your instructor).
- All pupils must pass the legal required eye sight test (20.5m or 67 ft). This will be conducted by your instructor on the first lesson.
- If your instructor feels that you are not ready to take your practical driving test, due to safety reasons, then you the pupil will not be allowed to take your driving test. If this is the case you will not be offered a refund.
- The standard deposit of £185 is non-refundable.
- If a pupil cancels a driving lesson at short notice (less than 48 hours), the lesson is still chargeable and the hours will be deducted from the balance of the course.
- If a pupil books additional hours with the instructor and then cancels or fails to show , then these lessons will be charged and payable to the driving instructor at the standard hourly rate prevailing at the time.
- When taking a crash driving course it is not possible to drive continuously, therefore, short breaks can be arranged between you the pupil and your instructor.
- Bumpers Driving Schools or our other driving schools act solely as a booking and administrative agent for driving schools and instructors in the UK. This means that we do not provide any driving courses ourselves and we undertake all our activities on behalf of the driving schools or driving instructors. Bumpers Driving Schools is paid on commission.
- All courses are booked and based on average learning capabilities and are a guide only. No guarantees can be implied.
- A practical driving test cannot be booked until the pupil has successfully passed the theory test. Practical test availability is subject to tests made available by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency ( DVSA). All attempts will be made by Bumpers Driving Schools to secure a practical test local to the pupil.
- The contract of the Crash Course/Intensive Course is between the pupil and the driving instructor. Any disputes or claims should therefore be taken up with the instructor and not Bumpers Driving Schools. Bumpers Driving Schools cannot be held liable for any compensation claim from a pupil, nor can it be held responsible for any traffic violation on the part of the pupil or the instructor.
- The full balance of any course booked is payable directly to the instructor on the first day of the course. A non-payment will result in the immediate cancellation of the course, however the full payment will still need to be made.
- Bumpers Driving Schools do not offer a first time pass guarantee.
- In the unlikely event that Bumpers Driving Schools cannot fulfil your booking, a full refund of the deposit will be given.
- All courses undertaken with Bumpers Driving Schools are on an individual basis. We do not offer shared courses.
- No guarantee can be made of test availability. In the event that a test cannot be booked for the end of the course, then an alternative test will be offered for a date and time agreeable to the pupil and instructor. No refunds of any monies are applicable in this case. Also, if the DVSA cancels a test for whatever reason, then we cannot be held responsible / liable for the test fee and any lesson time lost.
- Whilst every effort is made to get the pupil to the required level to take the driving test, if it is thought by the instructor that the pupil’s standard of driving falls below the expected standard, then for the health and safety of the pupil, examiner and general public, the pupil will not be allowed to take the test. No test fee or courses fee refund will be made in these circumstances.
- At Bumpers Driving Schools, all our instructors have been approved or licensed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.
- The car provided by the instructor will be comprehensively insured with a reputable insurer. A pupil can request to see insurance documentation from their instructor at any time. Bumpers Driving Schools cannot be held responsible for any insurance related claims. Any disputes are the responsibility of the instructor.
- The driving instructor will not smoke in the training vehicle.
- Refreshment breaks may form part of your daily tuition period.
- The driving instructor will not use a mobile telephone, except in an emergency.
- The training vehicle will be in good working order and will be fitted with dual controls.
- All special offers and course/lesson prices maybe subject to change without notice and are at the discretion of the company.
- If a gift voucher is supplied by Bumpers Driving Schools, then the voucher is valid for a maximum period of 6 months from the date of issue. Gift vouchers are to be used by the person, or persons named on the voucher and are non-transferable.
- If payment is received by an instructor for a course of lessons and the pupil does not complete the course, then the remaining hours are valid for a period of 6 months. After this time, the lessons will be forfeited and no refund will be given. However, in the event that the pupil requires a refund of any unused hours within the 6 month period, then any hours already used will be charged at the standard hourly rate prevailing at the time. The cancellation charge of £100 will also apply as will a 2.75% -3.5% card processing fee.
- When a pupil is successful and passes their practical driving test, any unused hours may only be refunded at the discretion of the instructor. The calculation of any refund will be based on the hours utilised being charged at the standard hourly rate prevailing at the time.
- If the pupil cancels the course within 30 days before the commencement of the course, no refund will be given under any circumstances.
- You are able to satisfy the driving test eyesight requirements (20.5m or 67ft).
- You satisfy the DVLA/DSA requirements regarding residency and eligibility requirements.
- You attend your lessons on time. Failure to do so will result in you losing time and the driving school/instructor has no obligation in such circumstances to add time to the end of your lesson.
- You must not be under the influence of drink or drugs at any time during your course. If we, or a representative of Bumpers Driving Schools detect any sign of this, the remainder of the course will be terminated and you will lose all fees paid.
- A professional approach is required by the pupil and no abusive behaviour towards the instructor will be tolerated. The course will be terminated and any monies paid will be forfeited in such an event.
- You supply on the first lesson a signed provisional driving licence. If you fail to produce a valid provisional driving licence, the driving school/instructor can by law not permit you to drive a car and accordingly your booking will be cancelled and any fees forfeited.
- You are responsible for ensuring the appropriate documentation is produced when attending both the theory and practical driving tests. Bumpers Driving Schools will not be held responsible in any way for lost test fees if a valid UK provisional licence and/or UK passport (in the event of the pupil holding an old style paper licence) cannot be shown to the relevant authorities at the time of attending the test.
- The construction, validity and performance of any contract shall be governed in all respects by the laws of England and Wales.
- Bumpers Driving Schools is committed to protecting your privacy. We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully – in accordance with the Data Protection act 1998
- Any personal information which we hold to process your booking will be held securely in accordance with the law, and will not be sold or passed on to a third party
The instructor reserves the right to withdraw the training vehicle for a practical driving test if in their opinion you are driving in a manner they consider to be a potential danger to yourself, the instructor, any other road user or a DVSA examiner.
You must discuss booking practical driving tests with the instructor and agree dates and times prior to booking a test with the DVSA. The instructor reserves the right to refuse you the use of the training vehicle for tests if a booking is made without the agreement of the instructor.
Verbal agreement must be obtained from your own driving instructor before you book a test, this does not include speaking with the call centre operator or any other third party. Leaving a voice message or text messaging the instructor is not acceptable, and is in no way proof that permission has been sought or indeed granted.
If you book a test without consulting your instructor, the instructor reserves the right to decline to take you or to decline the use of the training vehicle. If they have the opinion that you will not be of test standard before the date you have booked.
The instructor further reserves the right to decline a test booking if they have not driven with you within the last month.
If you book a test without consulting your instructor and within the time frame when a cancellation is not possible without losing your fee, then that is the risk you take. If you then contact your instructor and they are not able to accommodate you, then you will lose your test fee and neither Bumpers or your instructor will be liable for the lost amount or any costs involved surrounding it.
If you have to cancel an appointment for any reason other than a medical emergency, the instructor requires 24 hours notice, If you fail to adhere to this, the instructor reserves the right to charge you the full amount of the training period or lesson that was booked for you. If the instructor arrives at your address to pick you up for a lesson and you are not there (NO SHOW), you WILL be charged for the full lesson that was booked.
Cancellations can only be confirmed by calling or texting the instructor.
If an account falls into arrears due to a cancellation or a NO SHOW, you will be expected to pay for the lesson at the start of a subsequent training session. If there are no further training sessions then you must take alternative measures to pay your instructor. If you instructor does not receive payment, they reserve the right to pursue the debt via the small claims court.
You must contact your instructor as soon as possible if there are any changes to your pick up or drop off point. If there are changes and the pick up or drop of point is significantly different to the planned locations, then your instructor will shorten the lesson to allow for the extra unplanned travelling time.
Non Communication or lack of contact
If the driving school or your allocated instructor has made repeated attempts (ie 5 or more text messages or calls) to contact you to arrange lessons but has failed to get a reply, then the assumption is made that you are unable to continue with your lessons. If this is the case, any pre paid fees will be held in our account for you to resume lessons when you make contact again. No refund will be made under these circumstances. All lesson fees expire after 6 months from date of booking the initial driving course.
If you have commenced on a course of lessons and then failed to respond to attempts to contact you or book lessons, the driving instructor reserves the right to fill your allocated spaces with another pupil. This will normally happen after 7 days of non contact from you with your instructor. if this happens, and you then wish to restart lessons, you may not be able to proceed at the previous rate of lessons as the instructor will have filled your allocated slots. Therefore the instructor will provide lessons when they are able to do so. No refund will be made in this incidence.
Intensive Driving Courses and Test Availability
Bumpers Driving Schools is a booking agent only and does not provide lessons. As a condition of booking you are required to have passed a theory test or at least have one booked in order for the course to proceed at an 'intensive' rate. By 'intensive' we mean 6 hours or more per week.
If you commence lessons without having passed a theory test we would usually advise spacing the lessons out to match the date of a practical test. This meaning for example, that if the nearest test date is 4 weeks away we may suggest doing ten hours per week so as not to lose momentum in your training. We would not suggest doing all 40 hours in a week and then have a 3 week wait for a test as this would be detrimental to your chances of passing. No refund will be made in these circumstances.
If you commence driving but fail a theory test, you will be expected to rearrange lessons to match the new expected test date. If you continue to fail a theory test, then the 'intensive' element becomes academic and lessons would need to be paced so as not to leave a gap in your training. The lessons must be scheduled with your instructor. No refund will be made in this event.
Booking an intensive driving course is no different to booking a holiday. If you book to start on a set date, your course will commence on that date for the advertised period. If you fail to turn up, cannot make it , or simply wish to stop lessons, then no refund will be made.
If you have booked an intensive course, but change your mind before you start and simply wish to do weekly lessons instead or wish to split up the training days, then you will lose your fee as your course is booked and cannot be changed without prior agreement with Bumpers office manager. We may occasionally as a good will gesture be willing to change an intensive driving course into weekly lessons, but this is at the sole discretion of Bumpers or the Instructor. If you then stop those lessons, no refund will be made.
In summary: Please do not book an intensive course if you are not able to do it.
If you have booked a lesson or a course of lessons, either via the telephone or via the website you have a 7 day cooling off period in which to cancel.
The right to cancel begins the day the contract is agreed and ends either 7 working days after agreement or, if performance (your lesson) is agreed to begin within the cooling off period, when performance starts.
If you are booking an intensive course of lessons, for example 6 hours per week or more over a set period of time and you decide to cancel after the 7 day cooling off period but before lessons commence then we charge the following cancellation fees.
Bulk Booking / Intensive Course Cancellation Fees:
More than 30 calender days notice – Full refund.
Less than 30 calender days – NO Refund.
If you fail to attend on the first day of your course, you will lose your money and no refund will be given. Do not book a course if you cannot attend.
If YOU choose not to complete the course, or cancel lessons during a course, you will lose those hours, they will not be rescheduled. If you provide a medical certificate we will recredit your account.
If you have booked a course of lessons in a Bumpers serviced area and then you move away from the area, you will not be given a refund. However, you are free to take those lessons at any point upon your return to a Bumpers serviced area.
Crash, intensive and pre booked bulk lessons are sold on the understanding that you complete the course. Do not book if you cannot complete the course.
Bumpers uses Instructors all over the UK and provides training in the advertised areas. Therefore if you move during or before your course begins and you are no longer in an area serviced by us, you will lose your money and no refund will be made under any circumstances.
If you arrive for a course of lessons and you do not have your provisional driving licence then no lessons will take place and the course will be cancelled and you will lose your money. You will not be allowed to simply postpone your course, you will have to pay again.
Any refunded hours will be made within 28 days of the request being made, normally direct back to your debit or credit card. We have no control whatsoever over how fast a refund is made back to your card, this can be anything from 3 days to 28.
Any processing charges for handling your initial payment will be deducted from the refund amount, this is normally 2.75 - 3.5%.
If you have taken lessons or a test and you fail to pay for them, you will be charged the full rate per lesson. In addition if payment is not received in full within 7 calender days of the lesson or test being taken, we reserve the right to take you to court. This will incur a court fee and a £100 admin fee for the time and effort to seek payment. A further £25 will be added for every 30 day period that the account remains unpaid. In addition a fee of £35 per hour will be charged for every hour we spend pursuing the debt or attending court. We reserve the right to use the small claims court, debt collectors or indeed the police, should payment be refused or requests ignored. Failure to pay what you have had may have serious consequences. This also applies if you cancel a lesson at short notice.
PLEASE DO NOT BOOK IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH ANY ASPECT OF THESE TERMS.
By booking a course of driving lessons with Bumpers Driving Schools, you are indicating that you have read and understood the terms and conditions and that you agree to be bound by them.
As you browse www.gobumpers.co.uk, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with www.gobumpers.co.uk. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address, or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of AdRoll’s and their partners’ targeted advertising.